|Voice Actress||Shiho Kawaragi|
Sekai Saionji is one of the main characters of School Days, a hentai-series of Dating Sim/Otome Game, anime, manga, and novels. The series is infamous for having several ending routes resulting in death.
Sekai has an average frame but smaller bust than most girls her age. She has dark blue (bordering on black) eyes and short dark brown hair with a noticeable cowlick sticking up from the center. Late into the game it is noted in narration that she looks thin and sickly.
Normally Sekai is depicted in the black and white school uniform. Her attire is usually plain or basic with light feminine accents. During winter she wears a pink jacket she saved up to afford.
Sekai is a spirited and cheerful, if a bit troublesome girl. She is highly nosy and pushy, but for the sake of helping others with their problems. She also has a sharp perception and can read most people with ease, usually teasing them with a lack of tact that often causes some people to get angry or annoyed by her. She has a passionate side and can get an attitude with a boy if he acts stupidly or does something she disapproves of. She is also stubborn.
But at times her morality can be brought into question. When it comes ot her own wants and desires she often forgets logic and makes poor decisions and feel a lack of guilt for them later. She is highly impulsive and isn't thoughtful enough to consider the consequencances of her actions at first. These behaviours imply that her mental state is not in the best of shape, and deep down she is fairly depressed- which can worsen should those she cares about leave her alone or hurt her until she confronts them.
When angered, Sekai is someone who acts bitterly and will lash out should her mental state further decrease.
However, facets of her personality differ between the media. For example:
The Visual Novel paints Sekai as a selfless friend who tried to keep distance between Makoto and Kotonoha to avoid causing problems if Makoto shows interest in her. She doesn't want anyone to be hurt in the end, and was shocked upon finding out her friends bully Kotonoha. It takes her a long time to warm up to Makoto if he actively tries to persue her.
In the Anime she is portrayed as being selfish, with implications that she had an ulterior-motive from the start. She didn't care about her actions and ignored Kotonoha whenever she and Makoto hooked up. Initially she did tell Makoto to leave her alone when she realized the damage she caused, only giving in after he claims he broke up with Kotonoha to be with her.
In the manga she is seen to be with Makoto a lot more and because of this she quickly fell for him and eagerly pursued him until he felt it was best to break up with Kotonoha. Kotonoha appeared to accept it until jealousy made her attack Seika, which in return caused her to snap and become cold and uncaring.
In a spin-off manga, she was shown to be on much better terms with everyone and got along with Kotonoha very well; as a result of the trio being in a threesome.
Nothing is revealed about her childhood, other than her father abandoning her mother. It is also revealed that Sekai knew Makoto for a long time, due to trying to help Setsuna, her childhood friend hook up with him until she developed her own feelings for him.
The game, anime, and manga start out the same, with Sekai finding out Makoto is crushing on Kotonoha after they wind up being seat partners in class. She offered to help him and eventually rewards herself by stealing his first kiss after her plans worked, setting everything in the series into motion.
Sekai normally relies on her surroundings or a knife to attack others.
Unlike Kotonoha, Sekai has no reserves over attacking Makoto for causing her pain. But if driven to it she will lash out at Kotonoha instead.
For a full list visit Sekai's Relationships
Parents - Sekai lives alone with her mother and has a close relationship with her. She usually confides in her when her mom isn't too busy, and learned a lot from her. She despises her Father for his lecherious personality and abandoning their family.
Makoto - After attempting to help Setsuna get with him, she ended up developing her own feelings and Setuna stepped aside to allow them to be together. But in this time she wasn't able to approach Makoto until some time later, during their class seat switch. But realizing he liked Kotonoha, she offered to help him in hopes of getting closer to Makoto.
At first Makoto found her annoying until she started to let him test romantic gestures on her and offering herself to him, causing him to enjoy her sexually and grow bored with the reserved Kotonoha. Normally Sekai shows a tsundere-like personality and temper that doesn't appear around others. She willingly allows him to do with her what he would like, and has no shame if it means getting his attention.
Kotonoha - Despite her envy towards Kotonoha, Sekai has no ill-will towards her at first. She genuinely got along with her and had fun trying to be her friend until Makoto showed interest in her and she found herself unable to deny it. She didn't want to hurt Kotonoha and at times was remorseful for what she did until she eventually lashed out at her, effectively ending their friendship.
They can become a threesome with Makoto in a spin-off manga and in one route of the original game, showing themselves to be very close and good friends- although Sekai became the hesitant one of the two.
Sekai can suffer through a few deaths in the game, and is killed during the anime final.
- Bloody Conclusion - The most common death for Sekai. As she, Makoto, and her friends walk across a bridge a broken Kotonoha approaches them. Unaware of the danger, they attempted to kindly speak to her. They watch as she takes out her weapon, then in one swift movement Kotonoha slices through the jacket and her throat, causing Sekai to bleed out violently as everyone watches in fright- too shocked to move.
- Innocent Evening Sun - Attempting to push Kotonoha down on the train tracks, Sekai was yanked down with her. Before either of them can get back up they are both hit by the train.
- Twisted Hair - Like above, but this time Kotonoha lives. Sekai's phone falls and in her attempts to reach it, Kotonoha quickly uses her as a leverage and is able to get up with Makoto's help. As Sekai grabs her phone the train collides with her.
As Sekai learns she is pregnant, Makoto and Kotonoha were beginning to reconcile. They try to convince her to have an abortion with no remorse, and Sekai refuses, harassing Makoto when he refuses to take responsibility. She confronts the duo after they return to his apartment from a date and angrily slaps Kotonoha, causing the fed up Makoto to tell her off and passionately make out with Kotonoha in front of her until she leaves.
The following day at school, she and Makoto agree to make amends and meet up at his place during the evening. Makoto is quick to bring up her pregnancy and suggests she rid of the baby, causing them to argue. He offers to grab her a drink, but Sekai insists on doing it and heads to his kitchen, using this time to grab a knife and send him a text. During the distraction she quickly rushes at Makoto, knocking him down and stabbing him in a blind rage several times until realizing what she has done. Then with alarm she runs away and hides in her room until receiving a text from "Makoto", asking to meet up.
Expecting the worst, she heads up to a tall buildings roof to find Kotonoha there waiting. Kotonoha then reveals that she cut off Makoto's head and shows it to her from her bag. Horrified, Seika throws up and attacks Kotonoha after realizing she planned on harming her. However, she is unable to react quick enough and is killed by Kotonoha, who then slices her open to see if she really was pregnant before leaving.
"Makoto-kun, Help Me!" - mockinginly quoting Kotonoha in the Manga when telling Makoto about killing her.
- Due to her behavior and greed, most fans see karma getting back at her in the spin-off games. While Kotonoha remained a main love interest, Sekai ended up becoming a side character with a lack of involvement and endings, inlcluding one game that wrote her out for a good part of it by saying she was sick. Her routes and endings were given to her Mother and other Love Interests.
- Sekai is thought to resemble Kagome from Inuyasha.
- There has yet to be a real answer as to whether or not she was pregnant. While Kotonoha sees no proof of it in the Anime, there stood a chance it was too early to notice any changes.
- It was also possible it was Sekai's own, damaged mental state that made her think she was pregnant.
- Her voice actress provided voice samples for Artificial Academy, a game where one of the personalities you can assign your characters is that of a Yandere.
- Kotonoha's voice actress also provided voice work for the aloof personality from this game.
- It has been noted that Sekai slightly resembles Makoto. With the complicated family charts between the game series made by the company, they are revealed to be non-blood related siblings or cousins.